Tuesday, October 13, 2009

CARRARA MARBLE


When I was eleven, I stood in front of David for the first time, it was a memorable moment. I would love to visit Michelangelo's David more often, but in the meantime I content myself working with Carrara marble. The beautiful gray and/or gold veined marble has been quarried since the time of the Romans. The sculptors who shopped in the Carrara quarries in their day included Michelangelo, Giotto, Donatello and Bernini. When you visit Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona the marble fountains you see are from the quarries of Carrara.


There are several different grades of Carrara and then other types that are quarried from nearby hills. Calacatta and Calacatta Oro are very popular to use for kitchen and bathroom counters and slabs to put in shower stalls. Because there are so many different shades of Carrara marble I want to encourage you as designers and/or consumers to pick out your slab first and then get the tiles to match. Over the next few days I'll show pictures of the different kinds of Carrara marble and give leads for matching tiles and trims. It's sometimes like a jigsaw puzzle putting all the pieces together for a final unique look but for me that's where the challenge is and the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment